Trout Valley Stonegate Entrance,
The decorative iron and cut limestone gate at the entrance to Stonegate Road near the corner of Cary-Algonquin
Road opens into Trout Valley, a quiet neighborhood with a colorful past. Yellow Cab and Hertz Rental Car mogul,
John D Hertz, is thought to have had the gate constructed during the 1920s;
Levi A. Smith originally purchased the land for $1.25 an acre under land grant provisions in 1845. John D.
Hertz purchased the Smith farm and several adjoining properties in 1920s. This combined acreage would become the
estate known as Leona Farms, so named after his eldest daughter. Leona Farms was the site of many gala social
events with movie stars, politicians, business tycoons and other prominent figures of the day in attendance. The
Farm also boasted show horses, polo ponies and 1928 Kentucky Derby winner Reigh Count.
The estate eventually became The Curtiss Farm #77 after it was sold to the Curtiss Candy Company. Under the
direction of company president Otto Schnering, the farm became known for its prize breeding bulls and was
nationally recognized as the center for artificial insemination programs. Upon Mr. Schnering death in 1953, the
property was sold to developers and became the community known as Trout Valley. The offices once used by the
Curtiss Breeding Farm and later by the G.D. Searle Company were donated to the Village of Cary and after renovation
became the Cary Village Hall and Police Station. The community known as Trout Valley incorporated in 1996 as the
Village of Trout Valley.
Trout Valley Pool,
The Trout Valley Pool was also constructed on the Hertz Estate in 1923 for use by the Hertz family and guests. It is still used today in its near original form by the residents of Trout Valley.