Chunn's Burying Ground (Oak Glenn Cemetery),
This cemetery plot dates back to the early 1800's, one of the oldest pioneer grave sites in the county. Donated
by Frank Houghteling (ref: Mrs. J. Stanek) and established by the Chunn family in 1843 with a family burial. Some
sources state burials go back to 1809. Long time residents assert it was an old Indian burial ground.
Chunn's is situated atop a hill, near Spring Creek and behind the former Oak Glen Schoolhouse. Closed to
burials, the last known internment was in 1910. Unfortunately, many burial records have been lost or are
nonexistent to verify some of these dates. Only one record had been found of a Civil War soldier at rest here,
"William G. Kelly, who died October 7, 1861, aged 19 years 11 months, Killed at Rilla, Illinois in the defense of
his country" (ref: Mr. Arnett Lines, historian from Barrington, IL). who transcribed and inventoried the graves in
1944. At that time the cemetery was overgrown and neglected. Many of the grave stones have been damaged or lost due
to vandalism, since Mr. Lines reading.
Approximately 20 years ago, the cemetery was cleared of debris and overgrowth by a group of local citizens. All
remaining grave stones were placed in the center of the grounds in a raised locale around two oak trees. A
re-dedication ceremony for the restored cemetery was held on Memorial Day, 1989. Algonquin Township currently
maintains Chunn's Burying Ground.