Ever drive around McHenry County and spot one of those funny little brown signs with the old car? You were
driving on one of our official "Scenic Roads"!
We have a total of eight designated Scenic Roads. They are...
- Plum Tree Road - 1.5 miles. Villages
of Barrington Hills and Fox River Grove
- Mason Hill Road - 4 miles. Villages of Bull Valley and Woodstock
- North River Road - 1.5 miles. Village of Algonquin
- River Road - 7.5 miles. Marengo and Seneca Townships
- Pioneer Road - 4 miles. McHenry and Richmond Townships
- Indian Trail - .9 miles. Village of Lake in the Hills
- Hillside Ave - 3.5 miles. City of Crystal Lake, Dorr and Nunda
- Fleming Road- 2.5 miles. Village of Bull Valley,
Dorr and Greenwood Townships
- Greenwood Road- 4.42 miles. Village of Greenwood, Greenwood
Check them out on
Google Maps! Webmaster note: Google Maps has
changed its editing capabilities and we are not presently able to update the map to show our newest
Scenic Roads, such as Greenwood Road. My apologies for this until I am able to figure out the new
McHenry County is a picturesque landscape of expansive vistas, fertile farmlands, ancient oak
groves, historic homes, and winding waterways. Roadside land is often the first and most visible land
to be converted to residential or commercial uses. McHenry County has taken the lead in establishing
the Scenic Streets and Roads Program to recognize roads, corridors, and the surrounding features
that create their character. The program distinguishes rural roads and vistas for future
generations and applies to all roads located in McHenry County, including city streets, residential
streets, and rural roads. The Scenic Streets and Roads Program promotes:
- A Sense Of Place - by recognizing community identity and quality of life.
- Resource Preservation - by identifying significant scenic, natural, and historic resources that
are often located within road corridors.
- Economic Development - by generating tourist revenue through the promotion of scenic streets
- Recreation - by providing enjoyment for those who appreciate walking, biking, or a country
drive for pleasure.
Do you know of (or live on) a beautiful road in the County that might merit a special
recognition? Fill out an Application and send it to us. We are always looking for that next
great country road to get away on a Sunday afternoon!