Ormsby-Stark House, near
William and Lucia Ormsby built the original portion of the house on 192 acres in 1861. The frame house was
considered “one of the most complete farm houses in Dorr Township".
Philip and Elizabeth Starck purchased the house in 1946. They commissioned noted architect John Vincent Anderson
to remodel and add to the original structure. After extensive remodeling, the house now possesses Victorian
Italianate features. The result of remodeling was a 22 room, 6,500 square-foot home with details including
marble-slabbed bathrooms and a white oak-paneled library, complete with a secret closet. The kitchen and large
walk-in cooler are covered in white terra cotta tiles from the Terra Cotta Company of Crystal Lake.
Christopher Walkup House, Woodstock
The site dates back to 1835 as part of the original “Virginia Settlement", the land grant that allowed
Christopher Walkup to purchase 1,000 acres under the U.S. Government’s Homestead Act.
Christopher's son William built the square Italianate-style house shortly after his father's death in 1869. The
building, occasionally referred to as the William Walkup house, has been carefully and accurately restored to much
of its original appearance and grandeur. Many of the original architectural details remain intact, including the
massive double front doors and main staircase. This fine oldhouse was illustrated in the McHenry County 1872 Plat
The property's varied past includes time as the area's earliest post office, as a stagecoach stop on the Lake
Geneva run, and as both a temperance inn and a Presbyterian Church.End Of Tour